Since 2010 From Arc Media Group Mill Hill. Up to 13,000 views every month plus 1 million a year via all our Social Media. News and Information.Home of the Annual MILL HILL GUIDE and Monthly MH TODAY "Voice of Mill Hill" newspaper | WEBSITE | www.millhillbroadway.co.uk | CONTACT US | info@millhillbroadway.co.uk

Search This Blog

Thursday, 31 December 2015

SHORT HISTORY of MILL HILL BROADWAY

MILL HILL BROADWAY | The HisSTORY
As a name Mill Hill Broadway is a relatively new one, being the renaming of the lower end of what had been Lawrence Street, in the 1910s after the first shops had been opened. The later renaming of the station in the 1950s to Mill Hill Broadway and the building of the bus depot consolidated Mill Hill Broadway as a place name.
Before the 1860s this end of Mill Hill had only Lawrence and Bunns Farms, and no other buildings. Two railways companies constructed railway lines through the district in the 1860s. From east to west the first to be constructed ran from Finsbury Park to Edgware, but had no station. The other, running north to south, was an extension of the Midland Line from Bedford to London, with a station being opened in 1868. There was a row of four Midland Railway cottages, but there was no other development around the station even in the 1890s. In 1906 a halt, called the Hale, was opened on the GNR line, and this enabled passengers to be taken to Finsbury Park where they could catch the tube. During the succeeding thirty years land was purchased from the Bunns estate and Lyndhurst and Woodcroft Avenue were built. By 1910 the shopping district began to develop. But it was the opening of the Barnet - Watford by-pass in October 1928, providing very good communications that made the district ripe for considerable suburban development.
By the end of the 1930s the area had a fire and ambulance service (1929), and the Broadway Hall (1923), a concert and dance hall built by an estate agent T.G. Golby, which became the Capital Cinema (1933 - 1955). St Michaels and All Angels on Flower Lane ( 1922 ), Roman Catholic church of the Sacred Heart and Mary the Immaculate (1923), as well as the Union Church (1935) were all established in this period. When it was proposed to extend the tube from what is now Archway to Edgware and beyond, using the Great Northern Railway it seemed likely that the area was to become an important centre. However the decision not to extend the tube and to close the Hale to passenger traffic in 1939, combined with post war Green Belt laws, prohibited further development east and north. In 1967 the railway cottages were removed, and the Broadway bus depot was built for the development of the M1 motorway which cuts across the road at its western end . A building of note in the area is the London University Observatory ( 1925/1929) next to the bypass.
The railway station served the London Aerodrome which was to the south of the Broadway and dominated the area from the 1920s ( Later named Hendon Aerodrome ) until it was turned over to housing at the end of the 1960s - though part of the hangers still remain as the area’s largest museum complex The RAF Museum ( 1972).( from Barnet Council Pocket Histories )

In 2015/16


The Broadway has been a shopping hub for many years. The first Supermarket was Sainsburys which was where Costcutter/First Choice stores are now based.  Woolworths was a major presence on the Broadway in the former cinema building but this is now Iceland and the building was extended upwards when it was rebuilt at the end of the last decade.  Finally, in 2016 we will be seeing the first Tesco store coming onto the Broadway on the site of a previous department store and sports shop.

Recent local changes have seen the former swimming pool on Mill Hill Park first become Mill Hill Country Gardens then Wyevale Garden Centre and this has now become a Primary School.   In addition the area next to St Michaels became the new Hartley Hall and flats complex in 2015.  The Union Church land was also rebuilt into flats and the church renovated.  This continued the trend begun in the mid 1990s when the orginal Sacred Heart Church was demolished due to subsidence and replaced by a modern church and housing.   The last 25 years have seen huge changes to The Broadway but it is still recognisable as a local shopping centre and hub for the area.


Christmas 2015 on Mill Hill Broadway

No comments:

Post a Comment